Join the race to make the world a greener place.
Grandma’s Marathon is committed to hosting an eco-friendly marathon each year and sustainable initiatives are an important part of the year-round operational planning of race weekend.
As a major sponsor of Grandma’s Marathon, Waste Management Sustainability Services, has set the organization on a course toward becoming a zero waste event. Race weekend has always had a focus on sustainability through partnerships with the local businesses including Eco-Rotary Club, Pro Print, the DECC, Voyageur Bus Company, Verso and many others and Waste Management is injecting a boost into the 2017 initiative.
With Waste Management’s support, Grandma’s Marathon will be implement a number of eco-friendly changes over the next few years, from large scale recycling protocols to the smallest details like organic cotton apparel and reuse of supply items.
Sustainability initiatives include:
- Reviewing current initiatives and implementing new strategies in accordance with latest technology and information.
- Composting all food waste and organic materials
- Donating unused food to local food shelves
- Minimizing packaging and recycling all materials
- Partnering with Eco Rotary volunteers at the finish line to ensure all waste is sorted and deposed properly to minimize overall waste.